Monday, March 2, 2009

More Snow



Blah. I don't like it. Steve and I had to get up at 2:00 AM and brush snow off the tops of the greenhouses. There are fences down, branches broken. Oh, I am weary of winter. Not to gripe overly, I realize some folks got much worse, I just seem to have a very low threshhold of pain for winter shenanigans.
The chickens are with me on this.

Poor Tiger even refuses to get out of "bed" when there is snow on the ground.
The geese, however, seem to find it delightful. They were splashing around in their pool today, even though chunks of ice were forming on their feathertips. They seem to think its funny. Oh, my.

Hopefully, at least the snow and ice will insulate and protect all the tender new buds when it is 10 degrees tonight!

Lastly, the great picture that coulda been. What can I say, I was snowblind and couldn't focus.

2 comments:

Kathleen Stoltzfus said...

You have Sebastopols?! How wonderful. I always imagined they would not fare as well in the cold as some other breeds. I have American Buff geese and they have started laying for the season. I'm looking forward to making some good baked goose egg custard - and then later, new goslings wandering around. Can't wait. And by the way, I'm with you on the whole winter thing!

Kathleen Stoltzfus said...

You are welcome for the goose egg custard recipe! And yes, I have done several pieces with goose eggs - they were some of the first pieces I did after starting to make art again. You can see them at:
http://www.tuliptreehill.com/studio.html
Click on "sculpture", then on "nestboxes".